Autoinstalls is a framework that provides automated installation of all guest operating systems that VMware supports on all VMware platforms (Hosted: Linux WS, Win32 WS, Fusion, and ESX). Eregsuite provides a set of pre-installed VMs that do a boot-halt type test, used for engineering regression tests. They are pre-configured to auto-shutdown after power on. These help to do quick set of tests where user does not need full installation capability.
- AutoInstalls or autotest
Support os-installs, tool-installs and boothalt test in single framework.
- os-installs Create a VM from scratch as requested by the user, and install OS based on user input.
- 400+ guests are actively supported in nextgen framework, covering almost all known guest failies.
- Has scripts for 800+ guests in Legacy framework some of them are outdated.
- Tool-install is an extention to os-install for a limited number of guest scripts.
- Eregsuite boothalt operations of a precreated/preconfigured VM.
- Supports 50+ preconfigured VMS covering several guest families.
- Both autotest and eregsuite are supported on ESX and Hosted (Workstation and Fusion) products.
- Both support headed and headless installs on all Platforms. With headed installs on hosted product local UI is launched and on ESX product a remote console is invoked ether using VMRC or local WS (nitrogen) UI.
- Work in progress for AutoInstalls to use vSphere API for ESX installs in place of VIX/Foundry.